Mesoscopic Optics and Quantum Electronics Laboratory
See also: Recent Publications [publications]
1. February 2017: Chee Wei receives the Google Faculty Research Award for chip-scale innovations in communications.
2. February 2017: Jaime and Abhinav's results in precision oscillators and sensing have both been selected as the 2017 Qualcomm PhD finalists! Congratulations to Jaime and Abhinav!
3. January 2017: Heng and Shu-Wei's studies on real-time dynamics of Drude-plasmon solitons on-chip has been accepted into Nature - Light: Science and Applications. Congratulations, Heng and Shu-Wei!
4. January 2017: Jinkang's studies on ultrastable microcavity lasers at the fundamental thermodynamical limits, with OEwaves Inc, has been accepted into Nature Communications. Congratulations, Jinkang!
5. December 2016: UC Office of the President selects our team for a $3.75M (+ $2M additional matching) award on 2D mesoscopic physics and devices. This study spans across campuses, including tight collaboration with national laboratories, and with material scientists, physicists and engineers. [UC Research Initiatives] [Lawrence Livermore National Lab]
6. September 2016: Abhinav wins the 2016 Guru Krupa Fellowship based on his scientific and academic accomplishments! Congrats to Abhinav!
7. August 2016: Heng's studies on six-wave mixing on-chip has been accepted in Laser & Photonics Reviews. Congrats to Heng!
8. April 2016: Shu-Wei and Jinghui's optical frequency comb synthesizer work has been accepted and published in Science Advances, where we observed 2.7x10^(-16) relative inaccuracy for the first time in planar microrings. It is amazing that phase-locked frequency comb on-chip has such uniform spacing. Much congrats to Shu-Wei and Jinghui!
9. April 2016: Jinghui wins the 2016 Scholarship from the Chinese-American Engineers and Scientists Association of Southern California. Congrats to Jinghui!
10. March 2016: welcome to new team members: Lingzhi Li and Alvin Li!
11. March 2016: alumni Xiaodong Yang wins both the 2016 ONR Young Investigator Award and the 2016 NSF CAREER Award in his faculty position. Congrats to Xiaodong!
12. February 2016: Paratou's video on the frequency comb has been posted on the EE website: http://www.ee.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/ee/FrequencyComb_022916m.mp4 . Nice description.
13. February 2016: James Lee-Thorpe, Iva, Jinghui, and Prof. Michael Weinstein's work on the topological photonic bound states has been accepted into Phys. Rev. A "as is". Congrats to all!
14. January 2016: Zhenda received the "Thousand Young Talent" Award from China, with the highest level support! Congrats to Zhenda -- he will be transiting to Nanjing University as a faculty member ~ March to July 2016.
15. November 2015: Baicheng's measurements on the graphene pulse generation in random fiber laser has been accepted into Scientific Reports. This is joint work with UESTC and other collaborators - congrats to Baicheng.
16. September 2015: welcome to Bowen Li and Baicheng Yao to visit our team.
17. August 2015: welcome to new team members: Hao Liu, Vito Iaia, Ziqiang Cai, Michael Hoff, Xu Xie, Sumeet Singh, Chanyeol Choi, Yi-Ping Lai, and Parastou Mortazavian. Welcome!
18. July 2015: Shu-Wei and Jinghui's measurements on the low-phase noise 18 GHz Kerr comb has been accepted into Scientific Reports. This is a microcomb that spans one of the most number of frequency modes to date, at ~ 3600 modes and over ~ 65 THz bandwidth. Congarts to Shu-Wei and Jinghui.
19. March 2015: Zhenda's measurements on the biphoton quantum frequency comb has been accepted "as is" in Nature Photonics. These are the measurements of high-dimensional energy-time hyperentanglement, for multi-qubits per photon. This includes observations of the Hong-Ou-Mandel quantum revivial, Franson quantum revival, up to 19 time-bins and violating of the generalized Bell inequality with the high-dimensional qudit state. Congrats to Zhenda!
20. January 2015: Shu-Wei wins the 2015 Air Force Young Investigator Award, on ultrafast and ultrastable frequency microcomb lasers! Congrats on this well-deserved recognition, Shu-Wei! [AirForce] [UCLA]
21. January 2015: Abhinav Kumar, Jaime Flor (a Fulbright scholar), Tyler Holzschuh, Yongnan Li, and Christina Daniel joins the team. Welcome!
22. January 2015: Jinghui receives the 2015 Henry Samueli Fellowship for her PhD studies! Congrats to Jinghui.
23. December 2014: Pin-Chun's studies on transverse Anderson localization of photon transport in disordered photonic crystal superlattice has been accepted at Nature Physics! This is a joint study with University College London, Brookhaven, and Taiwan. Congrats to Pin-Chun.
24. December 2014: Welcome Jing Dong, a PhD candidate, to our team! Pin-Chun successfully defends his thesis - congrats to Pin-Chun!
25. November 2014: Shu-Wei's optical frequency comb studies on mode-locking at 74-fs in a normal dispersion comb has been accepted at Phys. Rev. Lett, along with the fundamental explanation on how the normal dispersion with Q-filtering mode-locking appears. This is a collaborative study with IME and OEwaves. Congrats to Shu-Wei on this impactful demonstration!
26. October 2014: Our integrated optomechanical oscillator and on-chip detector study is published in Scientific Reports, in a team effort with IME and NIST. Congrats to everyone, especially Xingsheng and Yongjun for the key measurements.
27. September 2014: Hao, Tingyi and James' study on graphene four-wave mixing in slow-light photonic crystal waveguides is published in APL. Congrats!
28. September 2014: our scientific team sets up at UCLA, and Che-Hsuan Cheng and Dr. Jinkang Lim joins the team. Welcome Jinkang and Che-Hsuan!
29. July/August 2014: Tingyi's studies on nitride ring optical bistability and dual-ring modulator are published in Optics Express and Optics Letters respectively. Nicely done, Tingyi! In addition, Tingyi joins HP Labs as a postdoc research scientist in the Sept/Oct timeframe - cheers!
30. June 2014: Serdar Kocaman starts as Assistant Professor at the Middle East Technical University. Congrats, Prof. Kocaman!
31. June 2014: Chad Husko is awarded the Alexei Abrikosov Fellowship in Physics, as a scientist at Argonne National Laboratory. Congrats, Dr. Husko!
32. May 2014: Yong-Chun's studies on coupled polaritons in cQED has been published in Phys. Rev. Lett. in joint studies with Prof. Xiao, an alumni visitor to our team, at Peking University. Congrats to Yong-Chun and Prof. Xiao! Congrats to Ying Li for winning the 2014 SPIE optics and photonics Fellowship!
33. May 2014: Dr. Jiagui Wu joins our team as a visiting research scientist - welcome, Jiagui!
April 2014 and earlier: [archived News]
Recent News and Press Coverage